News24 is looking for a digitally savvy sub-editor to join our desk team.
This person will sub-edit fast copy flow, focusing on quality and accuracy of content, and moderating comments on site. This position is based in Cape Town.
Skills and Competencies:
- Excellence in the English language for online news writing, copy editing and headline writing;
- Comfortable making objective decisions quickly and exercise good judgment in moderating comments;
- The ability to meet constant, rolling deadlines;
- Must be versatile, flexible and adaptable to change;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Work independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to engage with News24 readers in a way that deepens engagement and enhances quality of the conversation;
- Working knowledge of media law, online media best practice and the Press Code.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Moderate audience conversation on articles in line with News24's comment moderation policy;
- Ensure quality of the final product is of the highest standard, consistent with the brand and style of News24;
- Copy-editing, headline writing and revise;
- Willingness to work irregular hours, over weekends and public holidays.
- Relevant degree/diploma in languages, arts or journalism;
- At least 3-5 years’ experience in a sub-editing role in a news environment;
- Proven competence in the fluent use of English;
- Must have a good understanding of local and international news, and a passion for breaking news;
- Excellent general knowledge;
- Sound knowledge of editorial principles and journalism ethics;
- Knowledge of online legal issues and best practice.
Media24 is a leading media company in Africa with interests in digital media, newspapers, magazines, printing, distribution, book publishing, job classifieds and ecommerce. Media24’s digital media division, 24.com, is a leading African network of popular digital publishing brands and online services across internet, mobile and applications. 24.com is dedicated to creating and sustaining uniquely African online and mobile communities. As South Africa’s largest digital publishing house, the network welcomes over 16 million local unique browsers monthly. Media24 is part of Naspers, a multinational group of media and ecommerce platforms.
Disclaimer: Preference will be given to employment equity candidates.