Main purpose of the role:
To report agenda-setting news events, subjects and topics on the work of Parliament, its members and various stakeholders for News24's. The parliamentary reporter is well-versed in the workings of Parliament and the full legislative process.
· Initiate and generate exclusive and enterprise stories for News24 on a regular basis.
· Report on parliamentary matters on a daily basis when Parliament is sitting. Report on general political news when Parliament is not sitting.
· Report breaking news on parliamentary matters timeously and according to News24’s required standards.
· Cover political parties and government events when required.
· Provide comments and analysis for News24's various digital platforms.
Skills and competencies:
· The ideal candidate has excellent knowledge and understanding of Parliament, its workings, the legislative process, and the broader South African political landscape.
· Have a proven network of sources in Parliament’s administration and in political parties represented in the legislature.
· He/she has a passion for politics and the law-making process.
· The successful candidate has proven that he/she can report on and analyse political events and government policy at high speed and has a passion for telling stories on digital platforms.
· Able to write fluently and clearly in English and explain complex matters in understandable language.
· Creativity in problem-solving and idea generation.
· Able to work under high pressure and to strict deadlines.
· Good time management skills and the ability to multitask effectively.
Qualifications and experience:
· Two years' experience of working as a political journalist or covering political news.
· A relevant tertiary qualification.
Given the employment equity policy of Media24, preference will be given to suitable candidates from the designated groups.
Closing date: 14 February 2020